The first secret of great design | Tony Fadell

As human beings, we get used to “the way things are” really fast. But for designers, the way things are is an opportunity … Could things be better? How? In this funny, breezy talk, the man behind the iPod and the Nest thermostat shares some of his tips for noticing — and driving — change.

TEDTalks is a daily video podcast of the best talks and performances from the TED Conference, where the world’s leading thinkers and doers give the talk of their lives in 18 minutes (or less). Look for talks on Technology, Entertainment and Design — plus science, business, global issues, the arts and much more.
Find closed captions and translated subtitles in many languages at http://www.ted.com/talks/tony_fadell_the_first_secret_of_design_is_noticing

Follow TED news on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/tednews
Like TED on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TED

Subscribe to our channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TEDtalksDirector

29 thoughts on “The first secret of great design | Tony Fadell”

• ajay krishna March 5, 2018 at 11:25 am

such a small thing is your problem you can cut it of k

• ajay krishna March 5, 2018 at 11:25 am

nice and good
    k

• royalninja March 5, 2018 at 11:25 am

lol the sticker on fruit is edible, you don't have to do that dig n flick

• Wemdiculous March 5, 2018 at 11:25 am

can someone change the keys on my keyboard to hexagons instead of rectangles?

• Krish Mandal March 5, 2018 at 11:25 am

Stopped. 10:45 of my life wasted on this talk. Where's the secret of great design?

• Agama Aaron March 5, 2018 at 11:25 am

I think your speech are pretty good, thanks!

• Trenasist March 5, 2018 at 11:25 am

Amazing talk, I especially love the point about having a child like mind in order to create and solve problems better.
    I've always wondered why i've got a non-conforming mind. I'm often bouncing outside old routines all others would be in, finding ways more efficient, even when I was in the Army. The ideas helped my peers but not always my hierarchy, as most were old school and stubborn. But turns out no one likes change until they're child minded also.

The sticker is an interesting one, so many ways to identify an apple. But you can't go too nuts, trying to modify it, cause customers still want to buy a normal APPLE. To marking the skin, to sticking the labels on the stalk. I could even think of putting the barcode on the batch of apples, where the apple came from, and then have a machine flash a batch number on the skin where it only pigments it, and then the register can scan that number.
    Totally edible, but less simple

• David S. March 5, 2018 at 11:25 am

The comments on this video make me feel smart.

• Ruben Campos March 5, 2018 at 11:25 am

a little hard to do when your boss goes "im going to need that design comp in about an hour" lmao

• Kay Sandoval March 5, 2018 at 11:25 am

I currently work in produce at a grocery store and am studying UX Design on my days off. This video really resonated with me.

• Jayant Dhote March 5, 2018 at 11:25 am

awesome vision

• Key Medium March 5, 2018 at 11:25 am

The fruit sticker analogy is great to describe the subconscious and our habits.

• Bursadesain.com March 5, 2018 at 11:25 am

nice content, thank you

• TokyoXtreme March 5, 2018 at 11:25 am

You need to wash the apple anyway though.

• Beatriz Rodriguez March 5, 2018 at 11:25 am

I'm a designer, much like Mary there. Can't sell squat. Even had the uspto deny a patent because I didn't define myself as small entity instead of my actual status which is micro entity. I sent them all of the documentation. I've discovered that one of the ways to actually change perspective in design is to literally be broke. Kind of stuck in an area, solving basic survival problems, and the resulting mental energy and flat out boredom, you start to notice what people aren't doing, in a big way. You can't afford a product, so you start curiously looking for better ones, whats out there, what would be better with less income, and you start improving it, automatically. I pay 10 bucks a month for internet, its well worth it, and it has slowly been turning me into a design genius.

• Bursadesain.com March 5, 2018 at 11:25 am

good content, thanks

• Bursadesain.com March 5, 2018 at 11:25 am

great video, thank you

• Ahmed Abdullah March 5, 2018 at 11:25 am

what a words !!! look broader ! look closer ! think younger ! Nice talk

• Jonathan M March 5, 2018 at 11:25 am

How will a set of screws inside a packaging lead to increased sale? I get his point of practical inventions but I doubt people look inside the package to see what kind of screws there is before they buy the product.
    Except if they first buy the product, find out it lacks practical screws in case they want to buy more of the same product. Then they risk to lose the upselling on that product on this specific customer.
    But then they have to outweigh the cost of designing and produce these new screws against the lost revenue on only the specific customers that are potential upselling for more of the same product. And therefor it might be a risk that its not worth it.

• Danny ray March 5, 2018 at 11:25 am

I wanted to watch this video. I really really did, But it just takes forever for them to get to the point in these Ted videos.

• kho christine March 5, 2018 at 11:25 am

Excellent Video clip! Sorry for the intrusion, I am interested in your opinion. Have you researched – Fiymaria Graphic Gainer (do a search on google)? It is a good one off product for getting the best graphic design for your project without the hard work. Ive heard some super things about it and my best friend Jordan after many years got great success with it.

• James Henry Smith March 5, 2018 at 11:25 am

Give a computer input of what details exist, and it can figure out what can be built or found out from it.

• Bursadesain.com March 5, 2018 at 11:25 am

nice content, Thanks!

• Michał Włodarski March 5, 2018 at 11:25 am

No stickers on fruits in my country.

• hard core March 5, 2018 at 11:25 am

I was thinking wash before eating

• Victor QuyUy March 5, 2018 at 11:25 am

I'm in tear
    As an aim-to-be product designer, this is the best speech I've ever listened to. I'm now more confident than ever that product design is my path, to make the world better. Thank you so much Mr. Tony Fadell

• Ludilan Marzano March 5, 2018 at 11:25 am

Exatamente!!

• Melony Vance March 5, 2018 at 11:25 am

This is great! Check me out!