What Does an Interior Designer Actually Do? | ARTiculations

I talk about what I do at my job – specializing in the field of Interior Design in the Architecture industry.

For more videos and blog posts – visit: http://www.articulations.co

You can also follow me on:
Tumblr: http://articulationsvlog.tumblr.com/
Instagram: http://instagram.com/articulationsvlog
Twitter: https://twitter.com/articulationsv
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/articulationsvlog

Thumbnail Image:
Photo: Interior Rendering by jinkazamah Licensed Under CC BY 2.0
via https://www.flickr.com/photos/jinkazamah/

Sources and Further Reading:
NCIDQ exam: http://www.ncidqexam.org/
Interior Design Reference Manual by David Kent Ballast (2013):

Keywords:
interior design, interiordesign, interior designer, architecture, architect, interior architecture, NCIDQ, exam, ASID, building code, fire resistance, egress, life safety, indoor air quality, IBC, accessibility, ADA, finishes, what do interior designers do, office design, retail design, hospitality design, residential design, drafting, construction documents, acoustic design, form follows function, arts, Education, youtube EDU, career, certification, #withcaptions

Help us caption & translate this video!

37 thoughts on “What Does an Interior Designer Actually Do? | ARTiculations”

• Jacob Martinez February 12, 2018 at 3:12 am

I was a drafter for a couple years I’m very experienced with AutoCAD can a guy be an interior designer? It seems like a female dominated profession?

• Jeanine T February 12, 2018 at 3:12 am

Can you tell me what kind of math you use in interior design? I wanna start practicing them before school this Fall.

• Sara.W. 2003 February 12, 2018 at 3:12 am

I have never heard this side of interior design, thank you for enlightening me!!

• zeroinch interiorsltd February 12, 2018 at 3:12 am

Zero inch interior best interior company in Bangladesh. They provide Creative design for your house,office,restaurant etc.
    click here : http://zeroinchinteriorsltd.com/

• Aachal Jain February 12, 2018 at 3:12 am

Hii! Spending my 300 seconds on this video was really worth it… I request u to post a similar video describing what exactly architects do.

• Ella poppy F February 12, 2018 at 3:12 am

What happens if you make a mistake and the whole building goes on fire, do you get sued or go to court. I like drawing plans and stuff but this sounds very difficult and I don't really want to put the life of someone in my hands

• Andrew Huffman February 12, 2018 at 3:12 am

I am very interested in interior design or anything that has to do with designing how a home or building is going to look. I want something that will allow me to think creatively, I especially want to have an exciting career.

• Shagufta Abbas February 12, 2018 at 3:12 am

Drawing is the most important thing in interior designing.what more important things are there for interior .

• BEST & DESIGN February 12, 2018 at 3:12 am

good

• AR BL February 12, 2018 at 3:12 am

I completely agree with the innovating scopes of Interior Design. Traditionally we honestly thought of them a professions that focus on artistic qualities of smallest details to the macro details of interior spaces where some of macro details have overlap with architecture at a limited scale of projects only. We previously thought of them as specialization of architecture in interior elements as it is within the architecture industry and now a separate field due to growing complexity. When a project exceeds scales, an interior designer should have full authority to design those scopes. Interior design course has to integrate all necessary tools of sciences to improve their products. However As an architect I disagree on some claims that Architecture doesn’t cover things like, safety, codes , sprinkler systems, circulations and all other technical and scientific scopes of designs of interior elements which is housed under architectural structures. I think interior Design misrepresented in much more inferior expectation the architecture more than Architects see Interior Design as innovating and equating to architecture in terms of capability while specializing in interior elements. Architects have in fairness plenty much heavier trainings of sciences, systems, physics, engineering,automation and technology planning and mathematics with at least training of calculations to support these claims of scope of this video, like sound acoustics, lightings, structures, strength of materials and properties ,safety, accessibility, statistics, circulations, programing, hvac , thermal comfort issues, hvac, building economics and many many more associated for the improvement of architectural structures and very unfair for us who have supported with these much intensive prerequisites to fully exclude us from the equation and represented like no background on these areas. It displaces the position of architecture by definition as art and science of designing and construction of building where art, sciences and a grasp of engineering are prerequisites to comply these technical claims of capabilities and that separates architecture from all other fields. We are only talking at the scientific sides of practice of both architects and Interior designers. Take note that the whole architecture structure with substantial scale than interiors needs these all sciences more and more than the interior elements alone. Please check architects curriculum so you could have the window of their capabilities. I am not referring to the Interior physical scopes, and that is yours. Interior design was known as art of designing interior spaces, surprisingly innovating and now recognized by Architects as with equal capabilities but only focus in interior spaces.Let as be reminded that architects can practice few scopes of interior design at a limited area same thing as interior designers allowed to do exterior and envelope systems at a limited scales of structures because both have basics of few overlapping coverage of studies and trainings. And sciences and technical aspects this video explained is common to both profession. My disagreement is referring to coverage of studies like those technical aspects of safety, circulation space planning which now includes statistics in programming that caused us countless sleepless nights in training seems so unfair excluding architects of the coverage. after all, Architects are still In Charge of the holistic organizations of the architecture elements which includes systems and interiors that therefore both should collaborate in terms of decisions to create a harmonized exterior and interior output. And its very welcoming to know that interior Designers are now equipped with technical capabilities to improve more the interior spaces.

• wanjiku tatua February 12, 2018 at 3:12 am

Very good

• Cheshire Erlinberts February 12, 2018 at 3:12 am

Would you recommend taking Interior Design Course online? Why and why not? Thank you for your response in advance ^^_

• Krish Ruparel February 12, 2018 at 3:12 am

How does a fire alarm work?
    I am interested in this field, but I am still 13.
    So I want knowledge about it from now, so I can be a succesful interior designer.
    Can you please make a video on basics of Interior designing.
    Please

• Alexa Bella Muerte February 12, 2018 at 3:12 am

This sounds so boring

• Depressed Vampwolf February 12, 2018 at 3:12 am

whats the difference between interior design and interior architecture? thenks :3

• j johnson February 12, 2018 at 3:12 am

Hi! I'm an 8th grader right now and I'm struggling with what I want to start working towards when I get into high school and my family has been bugging me about it. I've always wanted to be an architect as a child, not really knowing what kind of architect but interior design has always interested me, including interior decorating. It's almost like I want a cross between the two. Is that kind of what you do, or if not what exactly would that be called? I'm just trying to get as much information on this so I can determine what exactly I would like to do.

• asian boi 9000 February 12, 2018 at 3:12 am

Speak english bitch

• x x February 12, 2018 at 3:12 am

I am a freshman in high school looking forward to my future employment, my fam is low class so getting into college will be hard – I would like to be some kind of nurse or someone who decorates houses, any advice or people I could get in touch with?

• Sarah Zabeen February 12, 2018 at 3:12 am

To be an interior designer is architect engineering must?

• Pablo Soliz February 12, 2018 at 3:12 am

Hi, I'm Pablo and I would love to understand more information interior designing. I love designing creating homes in making a open space if you may reach me please and thank you

• Yuri Takahashi February 12, 2018 at 3:12 am

Is this occupation currently in demand do you think?

• Swastikam February 12, 2018 at 3:12 am

Can you suggest some Interior Designing books? Also which college did you study in?
    love the video

• maryflopichler February 12, 2018 at 3:12 am

Excellently communicated! Thank you for articulating the real deal as there is a big lack of education in the public view of Interior Designer's roles. Very well done!!!

• Shawna Paterson February 12, 2018 at 3:12 am

amazing video!

• Shivam Sahni February 12, 2018 at 3:12 am

After my degree(bachlors) in interior designing.. should i do masters in interior designing or should i just go for the placements provided by my college.

• ZooZy WoOzy February 12, 2018 at 3:12 am

hey I'm going to get admission in a university that is not accredited by CIDA yet
    do you think it is ok?

• Sofea 3c February 12, 2018 at 3:12 am

Hi! I'm in junior science college now and I am really interested in interior designing but I'm not sure if that is the right career for me.

• htm February 12, 2018 at 3:12 am

hi , can an interior designer become an architect

• Elma Tobing February 12, 2018 at 3:12 am

a very informative video for a newbie interior design student like me, thankyou! you go, all designers!

• Andrea Zamora February 12, 2018 at 3:12 am

Hello! So currently I'm an incoming 12th grader in high school, and as early as now, I'm doing a lot of tedious preparations for college. I'm still having difficulties as to what course I'm going to take, and one of my main problems is the involvement of difficult math that they are going to tackle in that course. So my question is: Does interior design in college involves complicated or in-depth mathematical calculations? From a scale of 1 to 10, how complicated is the math in interior design? Your answer is of huge help to my career choice and it will be greatly appreciated.

• Daniel Alford February 12, 2018 at 3:12 am

Is it difficult to get a interior design job right out of college?

• MC Plana February 12, 2018 at 3:12 am

How can I get started? I just graduated high school and I'm unsure about what I'm majoring in. Although, I'm interested in Interior Design

• Viana Evangelista February 12, 2018 at 3:12 am

Hi thank you for this video. I don't know if you still answer to questions, but I hope you answer mine's. I'm really curious about working in firms, you can say that I'm thinking of it as my future career. Do you know how Interior Designers got projects in a firm? Are they always put in different teams( with architects, engineers etc etc) when there's a different project? Can they pick their projects or are they assigned to it? Who signs the contract, employer or employee? Do Interior Designer can also renovate a place, like penthouse etc for a client of the firm? Sorry if I sound ignorant, I really have no idea about this area of an Interior Designer. I watch many videos about Interior Designing, most of them are self-employed, but I'm curious about what an Interior Designer are doing once they work in firms (not an intern but an employee.). Thank you very much.

• Sama M February 12, 2018 at 3:12 am

This is different to architecture right? It's not considered engineering? Sorry I'm just confused.

• Sama M February 12, 2018 at 3:12 am

What subjects would be suitable to study? Art and maths? or is physics also required?

• Riad Ftouh February 12, 2018 at 3:12 am

i hope i do well in this job

• Natalie M February 12, 2018 at 3:12 am

Great channel! thanks for sharing! I recognize you from rsid! you graduated the year before I did! I think you were friends with Sally!