How to be a Successful Interior Designer

Successful Interior Designer Marcel Koekemoer, Style Design College alumni, describes what it takes to be an Interior Designer from college advice right through to Professional tips and how to find inspiration!

Produced by Dropkick Media

ARTIST: Kurobear
SONG: Okie Dokie
ALBUM: Special Electric

21 thoughts on “How to be a Successful Interior Designer”

• xylie marie 101 January 30, 2018 at 5:20 am

Can i ask? im not good at english but? how about math??

• Jack Saltzberg January 30, 2018 at 5:20 am

whats with the horrid bent pillows..theres like hundreds

• bruce van der Bank January 30, 2018 at 5:20 am

Hi I am a South African ex pat now living in London.  I have always been a follower of Marios work at Interdeco and admired his work. Marcel I found your video and was absolutely thrilled to see your work , do you have a link to see more of your work and that of Inter deco. Is Mario still around ?
    thanks
    Mandy

• Lily-Bethxx January 30, 2018 at 5:20 am

I'm 12 and considering being a interior designer of course I won't get paid that much but I can work my way up. I always draw my room 3D.

• Yasmin Mullick January 30, 2018 at 5:20 am

Sir I'm really very inspired by you and I decided to study interior designing for my graduation….
    Thank you so much sir. ..

• Samnatha Juan January 30, 2018 at 5:20 am

hi i need help decorating my room

• kruthi kiran January 30, 2018 at 5:20 am

hello, I just finished my first year in interior design in my bachelor's degree.
    I wanted to know how and when would be the right time to go out and start working, i would love to work somewhere in london or the USA and I just want to know where i can work and as what.

• Wendy Yeyo January 30, 2018 at 5:20 am

I like interior design but lack of creativity and can't picture it out by just looking at the plan, how can I improve on that or what can I do?

• David Chan January 30, 2018 at 5:20 am

Hi, as a dream, I wanted to design multiple things such as exhibitions restaurants and houses, but my professor always says that I need to have stronger concepts and show more creativeness, I have been thinking about this word "creativeness" for a long time, but yet I'm still stuck with it. Is there any tips of how to be more creative? Thanks

• Secret Love January 30, 2018 at 5:20 am

omg he has the same stories as me I want to be a teacher but I rather make the class room pretty then teach but I still Luke teaching well I have a long time to decide since I'm in the 10th grade

• InStyle-Decor January 30, 2018 at 5:20 am

Keep up the great videos best wishes from InStyle Decor girls

• AlanoudY15 January 30, 2018 at 5:20 am

Hello , my English speak not so good and I want to tell you some thing , I want to be interior designer women but I can't because i'm a Not good at drawing and this demand in this area and i love this area but how can I to be a drawing good To complete my success in it?

• CrowningTouchDecor January 30, 2018 at 5:20 am

quick and easy bedroom makeover ‪@crowningtouchD‬

• Andrea Annika Ilgner January 30, 2018 at 5:20 am

An "Interior Designer" is not the same as an "Interior Decorator", which he seems to be. I have not heard him once talk about the structural and space planning part of designing, which is what an "Interior Designer" does. However, I do not know if there is any such thing as the United State's "Interior Designer" elsewhere, or if an "Interior Decorator" is the same thing as an "Interior Designer" in other countries. Please, correct me if I am wrong. I am most curious about that.

• Rachel Towers January 30, 2018 at 5:20 am

Does anyone have advice for getting into interior design without a certificate? I don't really have a portfolio but I have redesigned a few of the rooms in my own home, and I do the window display in the boutique I am working at. I can't afford any of the design programs/schools in my area at the moment… is there any other way to get involved in the business?

• StyleDesignCollege January 30, 2018 at 5:20 am

Hi Kara, the more practise and research you can put in while still in high school will certainly give you an advantage when attending an Interior Design College. You will have a better insight and more focused passion for Design then your fellow students. We suggest you start attending Design fairs, subscribe to Interior Design catalogues and magazines, volunteer or intern in your summer at a design business and perhaps even think of taking a few short courses to prepare you. Our college offers short, online courses just like this for all ages so check them out here: http://www.styledesigncollege.com

• Kara X January 30, 2018 at 5:20 am

I'm in 9th grade (13 years old) and I really wanna be an interior designer! I was sick two years ago and I made a model of my closet with paper, hot glue gun, and fabric… I think that's telling me something! I always rearrange my room and redecorate it! The closet I designed with paper my dad and I actually built! I'm just wondering what I should start doing now that I am in high school! Are there any classes I should take? I am trying to start an interior designing club at my school because I did not get into the class!

• zalfie for ever January 30, 2018 at 5:20 am

i have always wanted to be an interior designer but i'm not sure if I would be accepted since i'm not that good at drawing and my hands are always shaky
    If anyone knows if they would accept me or not please tell me i am really interested about interior designing

• nyree shropshire January 30, 2018 at 5:20 am

I can't wait to venture unto this field.

• Phumelo Frans January 30, 2018 at 5:20 am

Thanks man you really triggered my love for interior design….you the best

• Natalie Vasquez January 30, 2018 at 5:20 am

I have now watched a couple of these videos and this is by far the most accurate for encouragement to enter this field. I'm a successful Interior Decorator in Southern California and I love every minute of my career. Although I was not able to go to college, my career has been shaped by the school of hard knocks with a lot of years wasted learning that way. College IS the best base plus as you said "work every where, even volunteer" Somewhere there is design/decorating aspects such as a furniture store- learning space planning & selling, flooring store- learning floor planning, upholstery shop- learning to shlep fabrics and selling the job, paint store mixing color, design firm-if you can get in or anything that connects you,  teaches you sales, and also kneads you creativity!

Marcel, you will go far with your style, your knowledge and your humbleness but I think you already know! Very Impressed!