INTERIOR DESIGN SCHOOL | Applying, Portfolios, Etc

Interested in design school? Want to know what it’s like / what to expect?

Let me share my experience in Interior Design school with you, and help answer some questions you might have!

DORM ROOM TOUR: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5XRvmu-A7g

COLLEGE / UNIVERSITY TIPS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd0vvQpkCf4

♡ LET’S BE FRIENDS ♡

TWITTER: http://www.twitter.com/ShawnaPaterson
INSTAGRAM: ShawnaPaterson

If you are a company interested in working with me feel free to contact me via my business email: sweet.taart@yahoo.ca

30 thoughts on “INTERIOR DESIGN SCHOOL | Applying, Portfolios, Etc”

• Shawna Paterson January 28, 2018 at 6:22 am

I created a video answering some FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT INTERIOR DESIGN, check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZZjZVGLZEE&t=20s

• Acoustai January 28, 2018 at 6:22 am

I’ve been into interior design for a while now but my interest in it has grown recently. I just have no idea on going about creating a portfolio or what I’m doing period. I’m a homeschool student so I don’t have so many opportunities for classes. I’m just really struggling with will my grades be okay will I be able to afford it and will I get in? I’m a junior right now so times running out. Right now I’m just taking basic school subjects and then I’ve been doing digital design since around eighth grade.

• remetstonpantalon January 28, 2018 at 6:22 am

You look so much like Fallon in Dynasty, you're absolutely beautiful

• Leeya Shao January 28, 2018 at 6:22 am

She kinda looks like Blake Lively here and there.

• Nitin Kumar January 28, 2018 at 6:22 am

Are there any useful and advance courses after diploma course in interior designing

• Christina Peeples January 28, 2018 at 6:22 am

do you have to take prerequisites like math bio etc in canada?

• Con Khi January 28, 2018 at 6:22 am

Do you think taking a graphic design class in high school would be beneficial? Also, what specific math and science classes should be taken in high school?

• emmag101201 January 28, 2018 at 6:22 am

this was such a great video, very informative – thanks!!

• Shubham Singh Sawai January 28, 2018 at 6:22 am

Great vid Shawna! Please help me with some info regarding the best interior design school(s) in Canada. Wish to pursue my Masters in ID in 2020.

• Flight Of Spice Blog January 28, 2018 at 6:22 am

Our surroundings can change our day. Design is so important! I always talk about it on my blog.

• cortiz January 28, 2018 at 6:22 am

I don't know why i'm watching this because I am way past all of this, I'm in my fourth and final year haha but thanks for clearly explaining the MAJOR difference.

a fellow canadian ba interior design student 🙂
    p.s your program curriculum sounds just like mine! (im in vancouver)

• C __M January 28, 2018 at 6:22 am

What if I'm actually really good at interior decorating, but suck at math? Should I think about doing something else?

• Me Me January 28, 2018 at 6:22 am

I'm not someone who usually comments on YouTube videos, but I have to tell you how unbelievably relatable you story is!! I'm currently a grade 12 high school student and I have the same issue you had then. I LOOOOOVE fashion so much I was originally considering studying it, but I also love interior design. I was so confused on what to do, which one am I willing to sacrifice for the other. And as you did, I want to take up fashion design as my hobby and interior design as my career, since as I'm sure you know, you can't be a very reliable interior designer in a company without a degree, whereas in fashion you could be a self taught and blow people's minds. I just wanted to tell you that you have no idea how relieved and mindset you made me feel. Thank youu

• Linh Le January 28, 2018 at 6:22 am

This video is so helpful! Love it!
    Just a small question tho: I'm now in the last year of high school and I intend to apply to a interior design school ( I'm in Canada now ) however i didn't take any art class at school , is that a problem?

• pooja sonavane January 28, 2018 at 6:22 am

I want to know what is good to do in interior degree or diploma?? I am from India n planning to get a degree from der is it useful?? Or should I apply for masters ??

• Taryn Patricia January 28, 2018 at 6:22 am

I am only 13 but when I grow up I want to be an interior designer

• Carina Oliveira January 28, 2018 at 6:22 am

I love this video for a broad perspective with some pretty important details. Also I find some of the most creative people, talk with their hands and I love how you do so!

• Emily L January 28, 2018 at 6:22 am

I want to be a decorator how do I do that? Haha

• shivani patel January 28, 2018 at 6:22 am

Hi…im graduating this year…so i need help on what type of specific drawing I should have and what type photograph is required in a portfolio….it will be a great if you help me out.

• ZooZy WoOzy January 28, 2018 at 6:22 am

the country I live in doesn't have any colleges that are accredited by CIDA (council of interior designers association)do you think getting a degree that is not accredited by CIDA would be problematic in terms of getting a job?

• MehRnoOsh January 28, 2018 at 6:22 am

Dear would you write down name of the softwares which are used in interior design?

• Natalie Dudus January 28, 2018 at 6:22 am

I liked your video so much.. I am studying the 3rd year of Architecture and Urbanism, I got a full scolarship for it. Now, as you described the Interior Design course, I can see that it is not that different from archit.. How long is your course? I mean how many years do you have to study Interior Design? My course has five years of studying. Thanks. 🙂

• Sidi Soueina January 28, 2018 at 6:22 am

Hello. My wife has produced some interesting designs for shops. I think its quite impressive and am trying convince her to learn interior design. She is in Africa. Do you have any specific recommedations?

• arpita bread January 28, 2018 at 6:22 am

can u make a video on how to prepare for interior design because I'm 13 years old and I really wanna prepare for interior design.

• MC Plana January 28, 2018 at 6:22 am

What should I do if I just graduated high school and became interested in Interior Design? I already made a decision to attend a community college

• roshni subedi January 28, 2018 at 6:22 am

I am from Nepal . I want to read interior design .so i want good college so plz help me…..

• Random Person January 28, 2018 at 6:22 am

Is it easy to get a job after all your learning and training??

• rox k January 28, 2018 at 6:22 am

Hi i am applying for btec art design and photography to pursue into interior deaign but i never took up art at school. I am a mature student and i was just wanting a little help to what i could do for my portfolio as i decor and reupholster etc and also am creative in home decor . Would pictures and swatches help and also of me completing or in process of decor pictures help. Help please ☺️

• Benji Zhou January 28, 2018 at 6:22 am

I'm a grade 12 students, I know that math and physics are not my strong strength, and I do like using computer as my tools, I took grade 10 wood working and drafting, after all I really like that. Nowadays lots of my friends are talking about going to study for business, but I know that math is not my strength. But I do like to design:-) so wish me all good luck:-)

• james fx January 28, 2018 at 6:22 am

Hello, is there anything like 2 years?